Friday, May 27, 2011

Reader Q & A: missing coupons




Before I get into the topic of this post, I'd like to say I've noticed TLC's Extreme Couponing has changed couponing as I've known it. Many people are gaining interest in couponing because of what's portrayed in the show, and unfortunately, most of what you see, is NOT how everyday couponers shop. I have been noticing that since the show started, I have gained a few new readers, which is great....WeLCome!!! :) But, at the same time, I have also been noticing other not so good things happening in my area....unhappy cashiers, frustrated managers, shelves cleared on Sunday morning, and even as I have mentioned before....COUPONS MISSING IN MY SUNDAY PAPER....WEEKLY!! Which brings me to an email I received a couple days ago. I decided to answer in a Blog post because I know other local readers might be noticing the same thing. This is what the email said:


Hi,

I'm trying to get into the couponing thing but I'm having trouble finding all of the coupons that are referenced in the blogs. I'm assuming that different areas have different coupons, but I live in the Central Valley too - Modesto - and I still don't have the same ones that you mention! What am I missing?

Thanks,Kelly



_________________



Well, Kelly....I wish I could tell you exactly what's going on...and yes, some coupons are regional, but for the past couple of months, my coupons have been missing, especially when there's a "HOT" coupon coming out. When I post my deals, I go by what coupons are listed in the "Coupon Preview", I still post the deals, but I've been missing out everytime there's something FREE with a really good coupon. One good example is the $3 Nivea bodywash coupons that were an automatic Freebie at Walmart since they are priced at $3, those coupons were missing....Also, back when there was a $3 Gain fabric softener coupon that would get us FREE softener at Rite Aid or softener sheets at Walmart....those were ALSO MISSING, $1 Gain dish soap coupons, FREE at Walmart, yep, you guessed it, MISSING as well!!...and I know FOR A FACT, we were supposed to get them because I have a couple of co-workers who save me their coupons since they subscribe to the Modesto Bee, and they did get those coupons, so the pattern is so obvious...they steal the coupons from news-stand or vending machine papers, but not the subscribers, since they can complain, and get the carrier in trouble. I'm not saying that all the coupons are missing ALL the time, but like I said, only the really good coupons, ones that someone could go online and see if there's a good deal on. I wish I knew what's going on, but I have a gut feeling that they are selling the coupons on ebay, or they know a couponer and they hand them over to them. As a matter of fact, I ran into a couponer in Modesto a few months ago, and she told me she liked my coupon binder and how orgainized it was, but she couldn't do that because, quote: "I wouldn't be able to carry my coupons in a binder, I get inserts by the hundreds." Now, that was a red flag to me....just like I read a person on Slick Deals posts a picture bragging of his 500+ inserts he "got early" because he has connections, AND doesn't have to "dumpster dive", now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that paint a picture of maybe his "connection" is a newspaper carrier who probably hands him the coupons instead of distributing them in the papers like he's supposed to??? Before I keep rambling, let me just say that if anyone in the Modesto/ Turlock/Patterson area is experiencing the same problem, please contact the Modesto Bee!!! Jonathan and I have both called and emailed, but it seems as though, they could care less. Maybe if more people start complaining, they'll listen (click here for contact information). I'm almost thinking of contacting the makers of SmartSource, RedPlum, and P&G inserts directly, to see if they can look into this matter as well.






Other posts I've mentioned this issue in:






No comments: